View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 03:31 PM

Music legend Mick Fleetwood on what makes a great story

Most people know Mick Fleetwood as the towering rhythmist of the hitmaking band Fleetwood Mac. But even though his instrument doesn't speak with words, it does tell a story in its own right, and to Fleetwood, storytelling is "finding the vehicle that allows you to express yourself."

Some people tell stories through language, like poets, and others through their specific arts, trades or talents. With his drums, Fleetwood tells stories by supporting other musicians.

A story he loves is one his nephew relayed after working with Marlon Brando. Brando's premise was that anyone could act, and they do so from birth on, throughout their lives. It was Brando's conviction when telling the story that enthralled Fleetwood most.

Speaking to The Drum at SXSW 2017, Fleetwood shared that the best story he has ever told is one he continues to share — about how his parents encouraged him as he was brought up, which has affected him throughout his life and impressive musical career.

"I had great parents that allowed me and both of my sisters to be creative because, in truth, we couldn't do anything else," said Fleetwood, adding that kids aren't as encouraged to be creative today which forces them to conform, something that his parents didn't do — and a big reason why he keeps retelling the story.

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2018/02/...es-great-story