View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Fleetwood Mac was never a hip band, but they became fatally uncool after “Don’t Stop” played at the finale of the 1992 Democratic National Convention. And yet some kind of “Over My Head” memory turned a switch (I hadn’t listened to it in years) and to my everlasting shame I immediately bought it on iTunes.
All this hand-wringing about what will happen to one's cred if one dares to like the "wrong" kind of music ... I'll never understand it.

Anyway. There aren't a lot of Christine songs I hate, actually I can't think of any, even some that bug me (like her Mirage songs and "Everywhere") can do so because they're so close to being songs I could love. But "Never Make Me Cry" might be the one song that's just the hardest for me to give any kind of **** about. Some of her 90's stuff feels very bland but makes me seriously wonder if maybe different production would help? Although I think "Skies the Limit" is just not for me.

OTOH ... at one point -- specifically, when I was a teenager and didn't know Fleetwood Mac beyond the radio hits -- "Don't Stop" would've been my first answer. I thought it was so ineffective and had no interesting angle. Now I think it's a lot of fun especially to sing along to. I've also come around on "Brown Eyes" a total 180 degrees.

I generally like Christine Perfect (I dig the guitar on "When You Say") and In the Meantime (there's two or three I skip but I still like them more than the stuff I skip from the 80s and 90s) but I've never listened to Christine McVie or the entire Chicken Shack albums so that should qualify my opinion.