View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
. . . I know it's off topic, but did you hear about the looming foreclosure of Aretha Franklin's mansion in Detroit due to $19K worth of outstanding property taxes? The house is supposedly worth $700K, which... to be honest, doesn't seem like a lot of money for a star of Ms. Franklin's stature. I mean, WTF? That might get you an older handyman special one bedroom coop in NYC. If you're lucky. I know she probably got screwed over by Motown, and she hasn't received much in the way of publishing, but she has cranked out a ton of hit records over the decades. But then again, she doesn't tour very much due to her refusal to fly (not that she would exactly fit in one of the seats these days ). I dunno... it just seems odd that I am a complete nobody and my house is worth more than the Queen of Soul's...
She chalked it up to an oversight by her lawyers and/or the people who run her stuff for her. Though I think she had some tax troubles years ago and artists of that era were screwed out of lots of the royalties, Aunti Re Re still makes lots of cash - in fact, she usually insists that something like 1/2 ofher fee is pain in actual cash She says she is going to pay it - so we'll see. But, yes, if she can't afford $19,000 or be able to get that though a mortgage or a one off gig - then she is trouble. Detroit, though leads or in in top few cities in the country in foreclosures. So, it could be possible. I mean $700,000 for a "mansion" is not that much in any city

save the cheerleader - save the world