View Single Post
Old 11-18-2015, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Happy Birthday, Rock A Little :-)

RAL blew my mind 30 years ago. It was/is such an electrifying and dynamic album.

Stevie's rebellious spirit was on full display like we'd never seen before. Sure, we can all play armchair critic in hindsight. However, not only did Stevie obviously have a lot to say while she was writing & recording RAL - she was on the heels of 2 multi-platinum solo hit albums & one big time successful (often sold out) arena U.S. tour, as well as an array of personal demons & dilemmas - but she also had a lot to consider re-entering the pop/rock scene filled with a new generation of redefining female success stories (Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, etc.) that had re-shaped the music scene, and would continue to do so throughout the rest of the decade. Hell, even Pat Benatar, Heart, & The Starship re-tooled in 84 & 85 respectively, and all became decidedly more pop with their future releases (hiring outside co-writers (i.e. Holly Knight) to remain in the game. But, perhaps I'm biased, but none of them (Benatar, Heart, etc.) released anything as good front to back in the mid 80s as Rock A Little. Even while this album was unabashedly the most commercially slanted Stevie Nicks solo record - it also had more personality, creative license, all served up with Stevie Nicks' unparalleled uniqueness than any of her contemporaries releases could ever dream of.

I treasure this record, along with all the outtakes and demos that could probably easily fill two or three records. What an intriguing era. What a fascinating woman.

-"If you tell me ONE MORE TIME, Oh, baby, take it easy - well you won't see me EVER AGAIN!"

Last edited by Christopher; 11-18-2015 at 05:00 PM..