View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
What? What does THAT supposed to mean!
It's just that sometimes your "facts" err opinions I don't agree with. However, I agree with your assessment of Buddy Holly.

Quote:
It could be argued Bill Haley's band was the first true group, and Elvis the first true rocker (with Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry right on their heels), but I would say Buddy Holly was the foremost to capture the purest form of what we still readily identify today as "rock n roll". All of the above, along with Carl Perkins, had a distinct hand in the making of the genre, let's make no bones about that. There was also Little Richard parenthetically, but he was more R&B based. But from my vantage point, Holly was the purest.
I think of Bill Haley's Comets as a rock-abilly band with horns. The Crickets were a drummer, a bass player, and a guitarist, IE a rock band. Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry along with Holly maybe my favorite artist(s) from this era so you won't get any arguments from me.

Quote:
Great song. It's true, once you sample a good BH collection, you'll immediately know where so much of what we take for granted and groove to began, in better depth than ANY of the above mentioned artists. Call him the truest of the true! To think, all of his stuff was written and recorded within roughly a 3 year period! DAYUM
His influence on the British bands of the 60's and beyond is hard to quantify. Of course we all know of someone who was at his creative peak for three years until he left. At least in his case, he's still alive.

Quote:
Good to see you're so into Holly slipkid, and that you started so young. There's hope for you yet!

Alright, alright. I'll have to go revisit that thread. Now where is it?
To quote Peter Gabriel, "I know what I like, and I like what I know".

The thread is under "The End of the Game" in the Peter Green section.