Thread: Nyc, 3/11/2019
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 01:29 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak125 View Post
The emotional highlight of Monday night’s sold-out Fleetwood Mac concert at Madison Square Garden — their first New York show of the post-Lindsey Buckingham era — wasn’t even a Fleetwood Mac song.

It was “Free Fallin’,” the 1989 Tommy Petty solo hit that Stevie Nicks led as the first song of the encore in tribute to her late friend and “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around” collaborator.

Another memorable moment came when Neil Finn — the former Crowded House frontman who jointed Fleetwood, along with Campbell, to replace Buckingham — did CH’s ’80s hit “Don’t Dream It’s Over” with a little help from Nicks. As he strummed on acoustic guitar, Finn had the crowd singing along “Hey now, hey now.”
Obviously this is a chicken-egg thing, but this strikes me as the kind of review that would have driven Lindsey up the wall. It's a Fleetwood Mac show, and two of the biggest "highlights" from the night are of other peoples' work. I can't figure out why it doesn't bother anyone else in the band, frankly...

Newsday quoted Mick before the MSG show as saying: “We’re also blessed that the audiences have been beyond stellar and have come on this journey with the band on a level that’s beyond anything that we could have imagined. … But you can understand that going out at the beginning of this excursion, there was a lot at stake — a lot of musical integrity. We were just really incredibly fortunate we found two very talented gentlemen that fit incredibly well with the band and have a musical, fantastic story to tell in their own right.”

All I can think is, what integrity? You fired your songwriter/guitarist/producer, and now you're playing Tom Petty and Crowded House songs. I guess all the money is worth it.