View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 07:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I know I'll get roasted for this, even though it's a genuinely sincere question, but I would love an actual adult conversation about this: why is it that Lindsey's songs, with FM and solo, aren't hit singles? Go Your Own Way, Tusk, Big Love, and Trouble are the only hit songs he's written and performed. To this day, I'm confused as to why Holiday Road only peaked at #82, I think. It gets more airplay today than Trouble, certainly.

With FM, is it because more of his songs weren't actually released as singles? Monday Morning seemed like an obvious single, and so did Second Hand News. I think those two songs would have been hits, so why weren't they released?

Solo songs, after Trouble, Lindsey never seemed to get radio airplay. In fact, the radio would play Big Love by FM, but I always suspected if it had been a solo record, it would have been ignored by radio. Always seemed weird to me. Anybody have any theories. And can we keep it polite, with no snarky comments on either side?
The answer is: No one knows. I just watched Lindsey's behind the music that was filmed right after Out of the Cradle tour. That album had the best reviews with some saying it was one of the best albums EVER. Clearly that album could have had several radio hits. Lindsey admitted himself that he found it frustrating that his creative hit production that worked so well with the Mac did not work in his solo career. Out of the cradle and the tour were not successful which really hurt Lindsey and he openly admitted that. Everyone knows who Stevie Nicks is even before she went solo. Not many know who Lindsey is. He does have great songs that could have been hits but I don't think there is an explanation why his solo career is not commercially successful.
But its not just Lindsey. Same situation with the Go-Gos. Belinda was the least talented while Jane Wiedlin wrote most of the songs and music of all the hits of the Go Gos. Belinda had a more successful solo career than even the Go Gos. Jane opened stated how frustrated she was that her solo career went nowhere even though she was the magic behind all of the Go Go's success.
There is no answer to this question. IMHO the lack of success as a solo artist is why Lindsey went back to the band in 1997 and stayed there. If he had a successful solo career, I don't think he would have went back.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 08-22-2018 at 07:31 AM..