View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I have to say, I do call and text and visit many people that I correspond with on Facebook. I think social media doesn't necessarily mean the death of those things. There are a lot of people I speak with on Facebook that I wouldn't correspond with in a way that required more effort, but that'd be true whether or not I was their Facebook friends. I just really wouldn't bother keeping up with them at all if not for Facebook.
I call, text and e-mail people too. Hell, I'm old-fashioned - I write notes and send mail because I know what a kind and thoughtful gesture it can be. Otherwise, I agree - and that is what Facebook is best for - keeping in touch with distant loved ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I do think you make a good point, though. Facebook does trivialize a lot of gestures that would otherwise be considered very meaningful and heartfelt, and I think that's really too bad. For example, I don't put my date of birth on Facebook, because it bugs me to have a flood of people come on and wish me "Happy Birthday!" just because Facebook literally told them to. That's just... icky, to me. The "like" feature is another one. I'm guilty of using it myself, unfortunately, but it is such a lazy way of completely bypassing any real interaction with someone.
Yes, and this is why I'm considering something unusual...I might delete all the friends who live in Denver with me, only keeping the out-of-town folks. I just don't see why I should be expected to use Facebook as the sole method of communication with friends of 20 years who live a mile away from me and can't be bothered to use their phone to, you know, *talk*. It's absurd.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case