View Single Post
Old 06-29-2002, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Guilty as charged...

I have never downloaded songs, but only because my computer seems to act up too much, and I also don't have a way of getting them onto cd's. But I have some great friends that send me cd's of Stevie and FM songs - demos and live concerts. I used to tape live concerts off the radio. And my first cassette of Stevie demos, well, I was younger and didn't even think of how they got out there. The guy supposedly knew Herbert Worthington III, and it seemed to me like he was a "legit" Stevie person. As if these songs were willingly out there. Ya, I was naive! But now I realize someone stole Steive's demos, and that does irk me. If someone did that to me, I'd be really pissed. Not even so much about if anyone was making money off it, but because my privacy had been invaded. But...I already have a bunch of demos. And I am guilty of loving them too much to throw them out over guilt. But - I know it is technically wrong. What to do, what to do?! LOL!

I don't think we are "entitled" to download things just because they are not available in stores. It's not legal, either way. And we are fooling ourselves if we try and justify it. But if I can get my hands on some rare music, I do it. What can I say?

I do buy cd's of my favorite artists. I want the music, and I also want the pictures, and the liner notes, and all that. I have even bought FM and SN cd's, and also the cassettes before. Not these days because money is so tight. But I've done that before. I have been given some promo posters from record stores and would never sell them. I love them. And if the record companies would put out more posters for fans to buy, I'd be all over it. I do like to support my favorite groups. After all, if the record companies don't make money, they won't bother putting albums out. And then we are screwed. So I know I have demos and live concerts that are not legal, but it's already done. I feel bad, but... I don't try selling them. But I *love* listening to them.

I do have a question though. One post mentioned that bands make more money touring than in albums. I actually thought the opposite. Well, maybe the ones who just play the music (like Stevie's band, etc.), but as for the songwriters, I would think they'd make the most of their money on the albums and royalties. No? I thought they didn't exactly make a ton on tour. I thought the venues got a big chunk out of the ticket price. And then there is a whole lot of crew to pay as well. Not that they would lose money, but I really didn't think they got super rich off it. But I really have no idea.