View Single Post
Old 01-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: All over again.

For Gaius....

Forgive me for not replying in a more involved manner, but you made so many points, that I'd be here forever trying to fashion all of my responses into a concise post.

I just wanted to say that i do agree with you, that Lindsey and Stevie seem to bring out the best in each other.
She always seems more inspired and daring with him... and he always seems to be at his best when producing one of her songs.

But, having said that, I don't think Stevie's other producers were necessarily taking the easy way out, or following in Lindsey's footsteps.
I think that the way in which Stevie writes, somewhat dictates the progression the songs will take on their way to being a finished product.

"Sisters Of The Moon" is a good example: Lindsey approached the song in a dark, moody fashion, and his electric guitar touches throughout are perfect.
But... in the piano demo of the song, Stevie is clearly playing the basis of those guitar parts. Albeit, in a slower fashion, and with less finesse.

Certainly there have been other songs where Lindsey's approach was not as obvious, based on the sound of the demo... "Gypsy" being a good example of that... but for the most part (and this is entirely my opinion) what the songs will end up becoming, is well laid-out in Stevie's original demos.

It's the other elements that Lindsey adds... the left-of-center instrumental touches, for example... that help the songs to stand out that much more.