View Single Post
Old 01-28-2015, 05:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I suspected it wasn't the Mrs Scarrott buried at All Saints. The information about the other Scarrotts in Headley Road is interesting.

Taking note of the names of the couple buried at All Saints, I had a look to see if I could find another Scarrott family in Headley. I thought I was on to something but the trail went dead. Here's what I found:

The 1957 electoral roll for Headley shows Henry S and Grace Scarrot living at Laurel Cottage. The address for Laurel Cottage on the 1957 roll is "Parish House Bottom". However, on later records the address is Headley Hill Road.

Harry Samuel Scarrott and Grace Tietjen are married in nearby Alton in 1939. It is the 2nd marriage for Harry, his first wife dying in 1938.

In 1932 Harry Scarrott is listed as the father of the bride for the marriage of his 23 year old daughter at All Saints. Their address is Laurel Cottage.

Harry, his first wife and their daughter aged 3 can be found on the 1911 census (living elsewhere at that time).

When Harry dies in 1974, the probate index lists his address as Laurel Cottage, Headley Hill Road, Headley.

So we clearly have a Mr Scarrott living in Headley Hill Road. But have we found Mrs Scarrott? Sadly, Grace Scarrott died in 1964, so it can't be her on the album.

I cannot find a good match on FreeBDM or Ancestry for Henry/Harry Scarrott marrying again after 1964.

Unfortunately the probate index does not tell us to whom the probate was awarded. The full probate file would tell us who that was, but it would cost £10 to obtain a copy.

I'm not in a position to put up the full £10 on the off chance the file would reveal a third unknown Mrs Scarrott - probate may have been awarded to the daughter.

Or - could there have been a 3rd family of Scarrotts in Headley?

(Note: Just to save anyone going down a possible dead-end, Ancestry suggests the birth of a possible son named Harry Samuel Scarrott born in 1905 the year after Harry Snr's first marriage, but I can't find a matching birth (or death) on FreeBDM to support this, and no son appears with the family on the 1911 census. I think the reference on Ancestry is an error.)

Last edited by Neb-Maat-Re; 01-28-2015 at 05:40 PM..