View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
recollections of the show apart from being astonished by a song where Mick is bent over his high hat, continuously hitting just that with his sticks, whilst Peter plays on. By now, years later, I guess that must have The Green Manalishi with Peter playing his 6-string bass. Little did I know back then in 1969 at 18 years of age.....

Wouter ,the following is the text of my original post on the Mr Bassman thread which lead to the further detailed posting about the Lyceum concert on that thread (the previous - but -one post )and was about the section where only Peter and Mick were onstage to which you refer. I think your right it was the final section of a jam which itself followed on from the Green Manalishi .

The best concert I ever saw them do was a the Lyceum ball room in April 1970 (I think )by this time the set involved a section with just Mick and Peter on stage , Peter playing vituoso bass - I think I may have been a 5 or 6 string , and my recollection is that part of the time he was using a wah wah pedal (stangely though, I don't think he used a wah wah in any other song that night !)I think some how one of the songs had morphed into a jam typical of the period ,and then Peter was handed the bass ,whilst the others continued , and then Danny and John left the stage so the music never stopped ! He and Mick then played for at least ten minutes ,and it was great stuff !Mick is always very modest about his drumming abilities, but it was fantastic the way he kept the hi -hat going ,and would then throw in a sort of unexpected off beat with his bass drum which would surprise you- much more difficult to do than a continuous bass drum beat against the hi hat rhythm. I think there is some of this on the Boston tea party recordings and I'm sure the casual listener assumes John Mc Vie is doing the bass playing !