Thread: Unexpected FM
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2022, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I forgot to post this last week but last Saturday was listening to Casey Kasem Top 40 countdown 1977 on Sirius 70s. Dreams had just dropped from the #1 spot and was at #7. Lucile by Kenny Rogers was #6.
Made me think again about the discussion/debate Dreams/Hold Me which is the bigger hit. Dreams shot like a cannon to the #1 spot and dropped like a rock. Hold Me was on the charts longer, had a much longer stay in the top 10, and finished the year a higher position in 1982 than Dreams did in 1977. Both were both big hits but its still an odd comparison. Dreams has been played at almost every Stevie solo show and performed at every FM concert for decades. Yet Hold Me is like a sasquatch in the woods. Its an extremely rare song to hear live. The Mirage tour was very short and Chris's solo tour was even shorter. We never really heard it live again until Buck/Vie. You hear Dreams on the radio everyday somewhere. Dreams is also a gold and platinum single. Hold Me is not. Dreams has bragging rights for being the highest charting FM single but chart success i.e. "biggest hit" has to go to Hold Me. (in the United States)

On another note Gold by John Stewart was #17 this week in 1979

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-02-2022 at 12:37 PM..