View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Different class? Higher class? Lower class? Who's talking about class? In fact, my point was that individual class of musician is largely irrelevant in any consideration of the rightness of "fit" within a band. Did that point soar over your head, Steve?
Yes, but at this stage of the game, I disagree, at least somewhat. Sure, the primary reasons they were brought in is their talents and name recognition to help make up for Lindsey’s absence. However, these guys potentially bring in something else.

There aren’t albums left for this band, so whoever they bring in has to be able to hit the ground running. Lindsey often talks about how Fleetwood Mac lacked any creative leadership during the time between him and Peter Green. I think the same was true between 87-95. While I’m still 50/50 on whether or not there will be new music, IF there is, Finn has been a/the driving force in bands with multiple singers/songwriters and where he primary singer/songwriter, and both he and Campbell have also been producers. They might be able to pull off a great album, even if it’s effectively a one-off.

Quote:
But that absence of potential is precisely what's frustrating a bunch of Rumours fans—they lost a classic grouping (even past its heyday) and got stuck with a . . . federation of more-or-less interesting individuals.
Remember, I agree that it’s ridiculous that this happened. However, they could have completely blown the federation.

Quote:
Dave Walker was interesting (I love "The Derelict"), Burnette was interesting, Vito was interesting, Sheryl Crow would have been interesting. But these individual ingredients didn't (or wouldn't) capture the imaginations of generations; they'd have left no lasting mark on the culture. The effects of the 1990 Fleetwood Mac have long since dissipated, and the 1994 Fleetwood Mac never reverberated at all.
Bramlett, Burnette, Vito, and Walker were glorified side players. Not just in Fleetwood Mac, but throughout their respective careers. Mason was a creative burnout by 1978. Sheryl Crow is a great pop singer with catchy songs, but her music lacks artistic and human depth.

Quote:
My point is that the current lineup does not have the potential to make any sort of lasting artistic statement because it isn't anything more than a collection of interesting musicians and songwriters, and that's a sad end to the band.
I agree that the current lineup does not have the potential to make any sort of lasting artistic statement, but not for your reasoning. There just isn’t time to develop it into something. The clock has run out for that.

Quote:
You may find it so. Many others of course don't. I find the current lineup potentially no more compelling than Coldplay. These are subjective matters; you can't issue a ruling on them.
I DON’T find it compelling, just that it has the potential to be. It hasn’t happened, yet. It’s too soon to pass judgment either way.

THE Stephen Hopkins