View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ If I'm not mistaken, Stevie's given sole composition credit on all of her Mac stuff sans like Seven Wonders and The Chain and whatnot. The band does not just automatically get writing credit, which is why it is such a big deal for Mick and John to tour and such because they don't get the same amount of royalties.

I think the reason is because Stevie comes up with the chord progression and the melody. Fleetwood Mac 'fills it in' (and I say this somewhat tongue-in-cheek, because it's more like.. makes a complete song around the string of notes that she has). That's why songs like Secret Love, Moonlight, Soldier's Angel, and a plethora of other solo songs in her catalogue are also credited solely to her. Obviously Stevie is not writing bass parts or writing guitar riffs or anything like that, and she never has, she's always just come up with a progression, a tune, lyrics, and some atmosphere for the players to work off of.

With Dave, he was the one initially coming up with chord progressions which she would then sort of simultaneously compose a melody over... which is why, along with gratitude for his help, I think, he gets the sole credit for the music.

Additionally, people like Mike Campbell or Neale will just send her straight up musical tracks which she then puts lyrics to [or adapts lyrics to] - similar to what went on with Dave, in a sense, only not "live." The music is already complete when she gets it. With Dave it was a living breathing entity that could change or transform along the way to the final product.

If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me. This is just how I've always understood it to work.

Last edited by WildHearted; 03-15-2012 at 08:58 PM..