View Single Post
Old 03-11-2017, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Probably for the same reasons no one intervened when she was doing cocaine *ahem*. The problem in this case is, it sounds like Stevie was taking the Klonopin as prescribed, but her doctor had her over medicated, so she wasn't actually misusing them. In other words, she wasn't getting them off the street, stealing from others, doctor shopping, etc. Her family and friends surely thought the doctor was legitimate and who are they to say a doctor is wrong? Also, they could have thought Stevie was depressed, not over medicated. The old adage is true, a person has to acknowledge there's a problem first before they can get any help.
Stevie felt "forced" to go into rehab for cocaine addiction. She tells a different story today but I remember the headlines from 1986 and 1987. After the RAL tour her management company pretty much did force her to go into rehab. Of course anyone that cared for her also agreed.
The following facts sometimes get forgotten:
Stevie left the Betty Ford clinic early. She did not stay 30 days and after 28 days left early and called the place "really stupid"
Stevie was so upset with her management company that the first thing she did leaving rehab was to fire her management company.
In the song "Welcome to the Room Sara" She mentions both of these things.
"Did I come here on my own" - She is questioning herself being there and it was not her decision
"Of course it was a problem - Frontline" Referring to Frontline management who got her into rehab
Her experience was so bad that she named another song "Escape from Berlin" - she hints that she "escaped" and left before the treatment ended. Another line "I did not win or lose, I just threw the cards" - implies like a spoiled child at a game, she threw the cards and left early.
So I would have to disagree with your point that no one intervened with Stevie's addiction. To the contrary so many intervened that she got pissed. Maybe that is why people did not intervene again. They feared her wrath. But with the condition she was in, I am shocked. that many did not beg her to get clean. Addicts are confronted so many times before agreeing to get help. Its also very common for addicts to replace one drug for another. Maybe if she would not have "escaped" from rehab and stayed longer she would have picked up a few more valuable lessons in life.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-11-2017 at 01:56 PM..