View Single Post
Old 08-25-2004, 02:57 PM
Fritz

Smile

Perhaps he would like to share full songs if we ask nicely? [/QUOTE]

Asking nicely never hurt Marty--he can tell you about that. I would have loved to share all the Fritz music with you since I first discovered The Penguin in 1999. And yes, it would be nice to earn some money for it, there is value there. But even though I own the studio and live recordings I still need to get permission from my colleagues to commercially release this. I intend to go that route. IT will take a little time because S&L are very busy people. However, that's the road I must take. I am a principled person. Numerous times I have expressed my gratitude to Stevie and Lindsey for their great success which has made interest in this music even possible. In the meantime, I meant to share some of it with y'all, but I can't give it all up in one stroke. Should I just give it all away? Well, I can at least give away some of it, but not all.

There are two songs written by Stevie and two by Brian. They are part of the live set material and I would hate to not include them in a collection. I believe fans should hear the whole sets, all the songs in their original order. IT would be great if I could enlist S&L's company (Warner Bros) to distribute the CDs. THis material should have the best opportunity to reach the widest audience. The suggestion posted about selling downloads is a good one. I would consider it if there were no recourse through S&L, however, I am patient, and my inclination is to first see what can be done with their help. We had a short meeting in June, but it was a sincere coming together. I know we will meet again and have a serious talk about what to do about all this. I am very optimistic about the future. I believe there is global appeal and of course, I think the quality is there, even on cuts where the vocals are hard to hear. Its rock history, folks. You all will get to hear an entire piece. I will send Marty a complete song in the coming weeks. And SodaScouts will soon be posting some meaty Fritz too. Both the message of the songs and the music are still timely in 2004, thanks to the general de-evolution of the recording industry over the last 20 or so years.
IF you understand digital technology at all you know I could not just post all the complete songs because that would make it too easy for bootleggers or unethical people trying to make a quick buck, such as we've seen lately at Ebay. To characterize what I have done as "dangling a carrot" is disingenuous and wrong. I never intended to leave the fans "dangling," or to tease people. This was done simply to gauge interest. But I understand there are some folk who would just question anything coming from me. That's o.k., there's always gonna be someone out there who doesn't like brocoli. I'm more concerned with reaching those more receptive souls who haven't made up their minds so quickly.
You will soon be treated to some long Fritz cuts. That should spur plenty of spirited discussion about S&L's early music experiences. I appreciate your comments.