View Single Post
Old 04-10-2016, 02:24 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
I don't think the recording artists have much to do with what's written on the record sleeve. That stuff is usually handled by the record company. I think if you have clout you can wrestle creative control out of their hands and pick the artwork and stuff like that but I think someone else does the writing on the labels. I'm sure the decision was purely the record company's decision.
I feel that it's probably more on an equal footing between artist and record label. Or maybe 49% artist and 51% label. I can't imagine that a record company wouldn't involve the artist. I mean look at the Bella Donna and Wild Heart album covers. Not spectacular covers, but clearly they have that ethereal Stevie thing happening. That's more her than the record company. But the whole relationship is a marriage, so I'm sure there's compromise on both sides. You might have an argument for the current artists having less to do with their covers, though. And I'm sure packaging and fonts are probably more record label in-house designers than the artist.