View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 01:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Why does everyone miss the Vol. 3 version of "Jumping At Shadows"? It maybe the best single recorded track from the three nights in Boston. It's shorter than the other two, yet it defines in a 4:50 nutshell why Peter Green is so beloved today, at least by this poster.

The reason why Peter Green should stand out over his contemporaries, is his use of dynamics in a live setting. Pete Townshend, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, and Jerry Garcia were all using dynamics in a live setting at the time. Yet nothing approaches how Peter Green conducted Fleetwood Mac during the late winter/early spring of 1970.

Does anyone notice the "fade outs" of "Black Magic Woman" from Boston '70 are not studio fade-outs, but pure band discipline? No other band from the states, or the U.K. was doing that at the time. For years I thought The Who's "Live at Leeds" was a snapshot into the best live rock music ever made. I'm now convinced it's Peter Green with Fleetwood Mac from 1/70-5/28/70.

There's a stray Boston "Black Magic Woman" on the 2CD "Jumping At Shadows", it is the best version I've heard.