View Single Post
Old 04-11-2017, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmatrix View Post
So "you" is a person or a drug?

The way I see it she sings about wanting to quit drugs ("she prefers to kick it") for this "you" person in the song. I don't think it works with "you" being a drug? Because if you is the drug... She sings I would really rather die than make you stop, I think that is the meaning of love. Okay, so if you is a drug, it makes sense. She loves drugs and won't stop until she's dead. But then she songs "I prefer to kick it" which would mean she prefers to quit drugs, right? So it's contradiction because she just said she would rather die than quit.
But if "you" is a person it makes more sense, because being in a relationship might make them "stop". So kicking the relationship would actually help the person proceed.
I don't see it working on a level where "you" is the drug.
But it does make sense if you is a person and kick it is about a drug.

And thank you so much for posting that excerpt it's really cool.
Yes, I think the song is mainly about her quitting drugs and her "relationship" with drugs.

Stevie's use of literary references can be oblique, as ricohv wrote. I think she's read a lot of Oscar Wilde's work and is just a fan of his words. His writing style is very unique. For this song, I think she just identified with the moral of the story, which is simply the worst things in life can be overcome by love. Stevie basically got over drugs because her love for life, singing, etc.