View Single Post
Old 02-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza
Greil Marcus writing about Go Your Own Way...

“Go Your Own Way” was rough, harsh, hard to follow. From its opening notes it was a maelstrom, excitement, and nothing else. It was an assault, a hammering, the singer moaning and threatening, pleading and damning; it didn’t let up for a second.

Coming two thirds of the way through the performance, the requisite instrumental break should have provided a rest; instead it raised the stakes. When Lindsey Buckingham dropped his words for a guitar solo – a shattered, severed solo almost drowning in a dozen more overdubbed guitar parts, the off-beat rhythm chasing his lead, then overtaking him, then seeming to wait for him to catch up, which he never quite did – the song began all over again. Ten years later, I flinch every time it comes on the radio, knowing what’s coming, knowing that no matter how completely I can predict what’s going to happen, I won’t be able to catch up: the instrumental passage supersedes not only the singing that precedes it, but the ability of memory to enclose it.
Greil Marcus is very often an overblown pompous ass, but damn, he's right on the money here. That's a perfect description of the genius of the music of "Go Your Own Way." That solo, and that frenzied interplay between Lindsey's guitar and Mick's drums that threaten to throw the song completely over the edge at any moment is what I love most about GYOW.