View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 07:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
Thanks for the article, Michele, as always. You're MY Street, or Ledge I should say, Angel.

I don't know if he was trying to say it was recorded in mono or whether he spaced the stereo image and left most track parts in mono.

As a part time/hobbyist sound engineer, the album is definitely stereo. He has done some different things, used guitar instrumentals like track 1 to use the stereo effect and make the guitar part very prominent in lots of other tracks.

I think a lot of tracks have instruments in mono and he's cleverly used other bits like guitars and percussion to create a stereo effect. He really is a "studio whiz", although that might be the most underestimated compliment Buckingham has ever gotten.

Either way, that album really was a return to force for his guitar style and guitar dominance which we got to really enjoy from 95 onwards (including era demos).

OOTC is my favourite though. I like melodic Buckingham over fuzz rock Buckingham (just). Although Tusk is my second favourite "solo Buckingham effort".

- Spike
I think he was saying that he recorded everything in mono rather than, for example, setting up a pair of microphones to record an acoustic guitar or amp in stereo. Once it's all recorded in mono then the stereo comes into in the mixing stage. It's just a case of panning the tracks where you want.

To be honest, it seems like a very strange thing to mention. Recording in mono is was hardly ground-breaking in the late 80s/early 90s when the album was being recorded. I get the point that he was making about it but it just seems to so elementary that it's weird to bring it up at all...