View Single Post
Old 06-04-2003, 10:40 PM
Junior Ledgie

Just wanted to add a couple thoughts on the Atlanta show, mainly that it was the most intense, amazing concert of my life! My best friend and I drove there from North Carolina, and I had a terrible cold, but for that two and a half hours I didn't notice it at all. Being poor college students, we were in the upper level, but in one of the bottom rows along the side right next to Stevie. If anyone else here happened to be in Section 312, we were the two people who stood and danced the whole time (I was very dismayed at the lack of dancing in our section--and we decided it was worth making a couple people angry in order to really experience it). So, all those little details aside, the concert absolutely ROCKED!! I could not believe hw amazing and intense (the only word I can really use to describe it) it was. I saw Stevie on the TISL tour, but that was nothing compared to this. Whoever said earlier that she was just standing like a stage prop should have been there last night--she was dancing, spinning, playing lots of pretend instruments, and generally just rocking out. And Lindsey--good God, does that man cut loose! I always liked him, but last night I REALLY came to truly appreciate him. The man is amazing--and he definitely knows how to play the crowd! A couple song thoughts:

Second Hand News--I thought this was where the show really hit its stride. A couple other people got up and danced, which was nice. Loved Stevie and her air drums on the "bam bam bam bam"s as others have said.

Rhiannon--the first thing that struck me was how gorgeous she was in the outfit. The song rocked, though. She went down instead of up on "dreams unwind, love's a state of mind", but then definitely went off on the end--loved it.

Landslide--did anyone else think it looked like she forgot she had to sing after Lindsey's solo? SHe kinda had to rush back to the mic--it was very cute.

Say Goodbye--Wow. That's all I can really say. The harmony was the most beautiful of the whole night. I loved the slow pace, and Stevie's high parts.

Beautiful Child--I definitely almost cried during this one. Stevie's voice was beautiful. I like it better live than the studio version (which I think I can say about everything they did at the concert). I thought the percussion on it gave it a very powerful drive--hypnotic almost. And the "I still wish that you were mine" at the end was great--we could see the emotion in her face, even if it was over the jumbotron. The whole song gave me chills, which lasted pretty much the rest of the concert (although that could have been my sickness, but I really think it was the awesomeness of the songs)

GDW--She rocked it. I knew she would. "Hoooooooome" was awesome. Can someone tell me what the "speaking in tongues" thing was? I must have missed it.

Silver Springs--I think I liked it even better than the Dance version--she definitely tore it up at the end, even though she didn't do the "never get away (X3)" on the last verse. Like BC, I thought the percussion was really powerful (as much as I hate to give Mick any credit).

Tusk--LOVED it. I liked it before, but it was just amazing. My favorite was Stevie and Lindsey circling each other before he Tusked her--very predator/prey, very sexy, very cute.

Stand Back--quite possibly my favorite of the night. The energy was amazing, the vocals were amazing, and she twirled. A lot. It was cool to see the shawl spin from above--and I loved how she caught herself with the mic and went right back into singing. Nearly everyone (even the slackers who were sitting for the whole show) was up to sing and dance along with this one.

Goodbye Baby--loved it as the last song. Stevie's vocals have a slightly different rhythm than they do on the album, and I think I like it better.

All in all, it was incredible. After it was over, my best friend and I had to sit down for a few minutes before leaving because we were so euphoric and exhausted. She was only a casual fan before, but agreed that it was definitely the best concert ever, and I think I have her hooked now. I have never been to a concert with that much energy or emotional intensity before. I think my friend described it best: "It was like two and a half hours of amazing sex."

Rock on.

~Matt

Oh yeah, and if anyone knows of audio or video recordings of it that might be floating around, let me know--I would kill for one!