View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
What's interesting to me is that they both started using recurring symbols before FM and they still use those same symbols today and they are symbols that they share. You can say they are very common and all songwriters use them, but Christine wasn't running around winning, losing and drawing lines all over the place.

Christine has done "Who's Dreaming This Dream," but Lindsey and Stevie use "dream" with inordinate regularity and I cannot help but connect their separate dreams to each other.
Yup. It does pre-date Rumours, I agree, but I think '76-77 was the point at which songwriting became their main channel of communication. And yes, 'dream(s)' is an absolutely key word.

Their lyrics as a whole actually remind me a little of the Brontes' 'Gondol' fantasy: a private but shared world with its own artefacts and language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah View Post
In some of these new songs ("Stars," "The Way Love Goes") there's definitely a sense of impossible longing that might make a person wonder what Lindsey uses as a reference point when communicating this kind of longing and regret in his songs.
Yes, that's what I was getting at but you've put it much better! The yearning tone just doesn't square with LB's much-vaunted contentment in the present day, so either the lyrics were written quite a long time ago, or he's not as content as he appears, or they're not about him?