View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 06:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick.inside View Post
I hate the thought of Christine being homophobic at all. Homophobia is awful in any case, but the fact that I'm gay myself and I love and admire her so much - it would just kill me if she really were a homophobe.
The thing is though, the one interview that often gets brought up in regards to that - Chris saying she didn't want to seem "dykey" or whatever and that she's glad the female fans didn't line up for her sexually - I never even saw that as overly homophobic, actually. I always thought she simply didn't want people to think she was a lesbian because she was in a rock band, and that's how she said it. She worded it in a weird way, but whatever. I also figured that she was grateful that the female fans didn't want her sexually because it would be awkward and she wouldn't know how to react - not because she didn't like them.
Maybe I'm being over idealistic or making excuses for her because I don't want to believe that she might be homophobic. Eh. I mean, have there been other instances that I'm not remembering that would indicate homophobia in any way?
I really don't think she's homophobic now, but the thought of her ever being homophobic at all, even years and years ago, just kills me.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, I think it was pretty normal to be even just a little homophobic in the 60s/70s right? Maybe not but it's nice to convince yourself.

I'm sure Lisa and I discussed the point she made about girls lining up for her because they fancied her and I'm sure the word "lezzie" was used. To be honest, if it were the other way round and she were gay and there were men lining up who wanted a bit she'd probably just as disagreeable on the matter. Lord knows I would and am. I hope that she said it because she wouldn't know how to react. It could also be possible she made the "dykey" comment because she didn't want it to affect her career, couldn't it? Maybe she thought that if her fans thought she was a lesbian that they wouldn't want anything to do with her, again, given the time period in which she said it.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr