View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 12:05 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think she was trying to get a rise out of him and I don't think she's not homophobic herself. At least, I get the impression she was back then. A lot has changed over the last few decades.
I hate the thought of Christine being homophobic at all. Homophobia is awful in any case, but the fact that I'm gay myself and I love and admire her so much - it would just kill me if she really were a homophobe.
The thing is though, the one interview that often gets brought up in regards to that - Chris saying she didn't want to seem "dykey" or whatever and that she's glad the female fans didn't line up for her sexually - I never even saw that as overly homophobic, actually. I always thought she simply didn't want people to think she was a lesbian because she was in a rock band, and that's how she said it. She worded it in a weird way, but whatever. I also figured that she was grateful that the female fans didn't want her sexually because it would be awkward and she wouldn't know how to react - not because she didn't like them.
Maybe I'm being over idealistic or making excuses for her because I don't want to believe that she might be homophobic. Eh. I mean, have there been other instances that I'm not remembering that would indicate homophobia in any way?
I really don't think she's homophobic now, but the thought of her ever being homophobic at all, even years and years ago, just kills me.