View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Christine wanted respect -- not popularity, excessive publicity, and obsessive fandom. That's is what Stevie wanted/needed, and she got it. It was fated in a sense, since Stevie is not tied to an instrument, so her role in the band was more about visual dramatics.
Being so different, I think that's how those girls (in fact all members) brought a balance to the band, and maybe part of the successful formula. Mick tells a bit about it in his book:

Many theories again appeared in the press to explain Fleetwood Mac's enormous new audience. One held that our three singer/songwriters and their different voices kept the public from getting bored with a monolithic Big Mac sound. Another postulated that the group fulfilled various deeply ingrained Anglo-American archetypes, with myself as the Public School Aristocrat, McVie as the British Cloth-Cap Working-Class type, Christine as an English Rose from the Midlands, Stevie as the California Girl, and Lindsey as Byronic Rock Star.....

Most critics seemed to agree that our writers were producing hit songs that fit into the modern romantic tradition established by the Beatles. But my favorite theory was that we were one of the first white groups since the Mamas and the
Papas to successfully bring female voices into the context of rock music. We didn't sound like anyone else.

Though I never saw Mick as an aristocrat. Specially during the 70s