View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

By Minna Sugimoto bio | email

WAIKIKI (HawaiiNewsNow) - Kokua For Japan -- a television, radio and Internet fundraising event for the victims of last month's earthquake and tsunami -- pulled in $1.6 million in donations as of 5:30 PM Sunday.

Before the star-studded benefit concert got underway, Kokua For Japan had already raised an estimated $640,000.

A sell-out crowd of 2,000 blanketed the Great Lawn at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, excited to be part of the internationally-broadcast event. Helen Kalahiki of Kahaluu just knew she had to be at the benefit concert, after hearing about it from a friend.

"I'm a rabid Willie Nelson fan, so she immediately called me up and that was it," she said. "Plus, it's for a really good cause."

After a half-hour delay due to technical difficulties, the Brothers Cazimero took the stage and got the place rocking. Other performers included Na Leo, Amy Hanaialii, Henry Kapono with Mick Fleetwood and Michael McDonald, and Jack Johnson.

"It's amazing how everybody just came together," Kapono said. "It's all about aloha. All I had to do was ask and people just said okay, we'll be there."

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/...asp?S=14419382