View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
Life's actually going pretty well lately. Heading home for spring break tomorrow night, almost done with finals (currently procrastinating). Dating someone that I have a really good feeling about and we're taking a weekend trip to Vancouver in a few weeks.

However, I haven't communicated with my mother for the last two months. It's a weird position to be in but at the same time, I'm happier without her in my life right now. The only problem is that she's refusing to give a slice of her monthly payments from my dad to my college fund. They've recently separated and they are in the process of divorcing, so she'll get half of his pay check for the next 11 years and she won't give any of it towards my education. I may not be able to go to school next year but instead, will have to live at home and work.

I've made a lot of sacrifices for my education over the past five years, so this is nothing short of heartbreaking. It definitely isn't set in stone yet-- I may still be able to go to the UK next year-- but it's really on my mom's shoulders right now.
Well, college expenses of the children are one thing that should be addressed in divorce proceedings. Generally speaking, in my state anyway, the parents are responsible for two thirds (to be divided between them according to their respective incomes) and the student is responsible for one third. Maybe you should have your dad ask his lawyer.

For the record, I disagree with parents being required to pay for their child's college education. They are not required to do so if they stay married but if they divorce, it becomes an issue under the jurisdiction of the court. I got a scholarship for undergrad and my first year of law school and took out loans for the rest. The only thing my parents paid for were my books in undergrad and my grandpa paid for my books in law school. Other than that, I did it myself. I'm still paying for law school ten years later and will be for quite some time. There's nothing wrong with doing it yourself.

Besides relying on your parents, have you considered looking into student loans? You might not qualify for financial aid due to your parents' incomes (until you establish that you are no longer a dependant), but you can certainly apply for student loans. Also, with your academic background, did you not qualify for any scholarships?