View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I definitely agree that Peacekeeper was a disastrous choice for lead single. That whole chicken noise was embarrassing to listen to even as a hardcore Mac fan. And you couldn't be more right about what people thought the motives were behind the song. Peace was a very, very dirty word in '03. Use it, and you were called an un-American Commie Hippie Liberal Flag Burning Faggot. Have we all forgotten how when France refused to be involved in the Iraq invasion that Americans retaliated and started calling French Fries "Freedom Fries" etc?
actually, i think that mentality may have started slowly changing at the time SYW came out (although the war started just a month before). remember this was the time of a sudden rise of Howard Dean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Dean? and his main appeal was that he openly criticized starting the war.

lindsey himself said in some interview that b/c of the above, when WB chose peacekeeper as the lead single, they must have known it would hit the nerve. to me, this showed the mac in the new light - finally looking at the world around them, instead of just living in their little self-indulgent inner circle. it showed them as progressive, and not stuck in the love and fairies cycle anymore.