Thread: Parents
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post
I have my own problems but none of them could be attributed to my parents. I was depressed for years because nobody wanted a relationship with a handicapped boy. Again though not my parents fault. They're wonderful. Obviously I don't tell them everything. They know nothing of my 8 year depression, but again all my choice. All the problems I had.......It was all me. Love my parents.

Mick
Were you living with them or around them during those 8 years? I can't imagine they didn't notice. I have been working with individuals with medical concerns and many parents are so concerned about meeting their childs medical needs that they do not consider their mental health needs.

I have no medical concerns but my parents say they never noticed my depression. I just can't imagine how they could not have...I was skinny as a rail and looked a hot mess. Of course they noticed when I got into trouble but that happened when I was technically a grown up. I didn't blame my parents at first and I don't blame them now but there was a period of time I was really pissed that they didn't assume some responsibility for what happened to me. After all, they "raised" me.

Ya see, a lot of really bad things happened when I was about 12. That was also the time when I started having changes in my body and what not. I felt like it was so obvious that I was screwed up. So fast forward about 8 years and there I am with handcuffs on. I'm just thinking I'm a cute little hippie girl who likes to smoke, and drink, and do a few other things. My family just went on and on about how they couldn't believe I made such poor choices and that I should have known better. How was I supposed to know better when I didn't have any role models?

I had to learn the hard way but I feel like getting in trouble was some sort of divine intervention. There had to be some greater good out of getting arrested and losing one of my great loves to drugs.

What I learned after 10 years of therapy and a psychology degree (ha ha- wow, that makes it sound like I was really screwed up- maybe I'm still in denial) is that at some point you have to work through the past and live in the present and be all you can be. Based on my story and what others like Louie said it can go either way. People can say "oh I'm sure as heck not going to be like that" and actually keep history from repeating itself or they can be someone like me who only thought I wasn't going to have to go down the path I went.

Anywhos, to make a long story a littler less longer than it already is I'll just say that after all that I got it together. I'm making lemonade out of lemons. And it's good.

He asked me for my love
And that was all