View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornense View Post
... for example Clapton's years of seclusion, more or less alone in a house, spending all his days shooting up heroin, wasted in a sofa just watching TV.
Clapton never "shot up" (per his own description)...he snorted it in powder form, like one would cocaine.

But, when you look back at just what the time frame was of "Clapton's seclusion", by today's standards, it wasn't very long. He's taken 3x's that long between albums lately and nobody says "he's in seclusion". He was only out of the spotlight from late '71-late'73. And, in there he STILL did the Concert For Bangla Desh, his Rainbow Concert, a few sessions, etc. Plus, he still was playing & writing the whole time. He may have been anti-social and not in the public eye, but "wasted in a sofa" wasn't exactly a true statement, either. Looking back, it may have FELT that way to him, but he also discovered that he'd been very prolific, too, by discovering tapes he'd made in that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornense View Post
This quote from Crosby is especially horrific when you look back, it possibly apply to many other musicians in those days: ”…a student asked me, ’Were you ever onstage stoned?’ The answer to that is that never once, until I got out of prison, did I ever record, perform, or do anything any way except stoned. I did it all stoned.”
WTF?!?! "Horrific"?? I don't see that being "horrifiic". That was ME, too, from the age of 16-40. Sobriety isn't all that it's cracked up to be. With the world as it is, as it was, as it no doubt will always be, escape is almost mandatory for good mental health.

Plus, what artist from those times, IN those times weren't EXACTLY in the same state of consciousness as Crosby? HIS situation was the "norm", not the exception.

Granted, the herbal/natural (pot, hash, shrooms, etc) products didn't do the harm that the man-made chemical (cocaine, heroin, crack, meth, etc) products have done.

Last edited by chiliD; 10-04-2010 at 11:34 AM..