View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Donna Summer? Now, this may just be because I don't know much of her music... but, I thought she was some Disco Queen? Not Rock?
Donna has actually won a best rock vocal Grammy, possibly two, and has also won Grammy's for Inspirational (gospel) vocal, and I believe in yet another category, but I agree with you that 'rock and roll' is not what one would think of when thinking of Donna Summer. The same goes for Billie Holiday, who is in The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, and Holiday died in 1959 and never sang a rock song. I wonder if Donna will actually make the cut this year.
I think Donna's rock category Grammy wins were for 'Hot Stuff' and for 'Protection' (edit: wrong; nominated, didn't win for 'Protection')- which Bruce Springsteen wrote for her circa 1982, which shows there was some support for her rock endeavors. She may have also had a rock vocal nomination for 'Cold Love'- I should google this, but that's off the top of my head, such as it is!
Edit: I have some of the above info wrong, this should be correct, below. She has won five Grammy Awards and has had a total of 17 nominations.

Grammy Wins for Donna Summer:
1979 – Best R&B Vocal Performance (Female), Last Dance
1980 – Best Rock Vocal Performance (Female), Hot Stuff
1984 – Best Inspirational Performance, He's a Rebel
1985 – Best Inspirational Performance, Forgive Me
1998 – Best Dance Recording, Carry On

Twelve Other Grammy Award nominations, for which she didn't win:
1979 – Best Pop Vocal Performance (Female), MacArthur Park
1980 – Album of the Year, Bad Girls
1980 – Best Pop Vocal Performance (Female), Bad Girls
1980 – Best R&B Vocal Performance (Female), Dim All the Lights
1980 – Best Disco Recording, Bad Girls
1981 – Best Pop Vocal Performance (Female), On the Radio
1982 – Best Rock Vocal Performance (Female), Cold Love
1982 – Best Inspirational Performance, I Believe in Jesus
1983 – Best Rock Vocal Performance (Female), Protection
1983 – Best R&B Vocal Performance (Female), Love is in Control (Finger on the Trigger)
1984 – Best Pop Vocal Performance (Female), She Works Hard for the Money
2000 – Best Dance Recording, I Will Go with You (Con te Partiro)

--It may not be an accident that Donna recently (in the past 2 months) released a new single 'Love From Paris' and did a handful of concerts to up her chances at this year's nomination. I think she received a nomination last year also for the R&RHOF but didn't make the final cut.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 10-01-2010 at 12:37 PM..