View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 01:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
By the way, have any of you ever heard the following?
WAIT to drink your beverage until after you have finished eating. I got this tip in the 80s from a prime-time tv actress, whose niece I was best friends with, for a decade. It seems that one's saliva contains a natural calorie-burning enzyme released as you chew, and that is ruined if you drink at the same time as you're eating .
The actress had an unbelievable body, so I just went along with it and don't even think about it much, and it seems to work.
I've forever tried to talk my overweight Dad into eating his meals in this way, he won't listen and thinks it's all bullsh*t about the saliva. Anyone ever hear this?
If curious, the actress was Lisa Hartman of 'Knots Landing' and she had the most amazingly perfect tummy and she showed it off a lot in those days.
this sounds like one of those bull**** lose-weight-without-trying tips. i can't think of one evolutionary reason humans (whose bodies are built to conserve energy and store it as fat) would have a built in mechanism to burn calories at the beginning of the digestive process. i'm sure LH had a great body, but i'm sure she also starved herself and had a personal trainer. celebs toss these so-called "tips" to the masses so they can deflect from the reality that they work out obsessively, don't eat, and have surgery to suck out their unwanted fat. please don't perpetuate it! if you want to lose weight, EXERCISE AND EAT WELL!

ahem.