View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Florence + the Machine recreated the Dog Days music video. She's mentioned a Stevie-influence during one interview and she covered "The Chain," which she described as her all-time favorite song, at this year's Glastonbury festival.

It was strange to actually hear someone sing live from start to finish. Usher, Justin Bieber, Ciara, etc. had their performances seriously augmented with playback. Taylor Swift sang live, unfortunately, confirming what most of us already know: she's a singer who can't sing and a songwriter with a vocabulary of five words and two melodies. Kanye West's performance was fascinating because it was so outrageously awful - from the opening where he ripped off Moby to his terrible vocals and frat boy lyrics about "douche bags."
Gaga's acapella moment - where she belted out a piece of song she's just recorded - settles that argument. Love her or hate her, she can sing. Her songs, personality, outfits, etc. are a matter of personal taste, but the voice can't be denied. And she had the best line of the night when she accepted her 7th award of the evening: "I never thought I'd be asking Cher to hold my meat purse."