View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
All six tracks are extremely strong, but "Love That Burns" should be one of the major contributors to Peter Green's legacy as a guitarist. The guitar solo is so good, it's what Peter doesn't play, and how he spaces his notes. While I'm sure Gary Moore meant well with his tribute to Peter Green (with Peter Green's guitar) in 1995, this is where he lacked Peter's gift of dynamics, space, and heart.

As for the rest, "Rollin' Man" is a monster on the album, especially live with Danny Kirwan. "Stop Messin' Round", is just intensity. "Trying So Hard to Forget" sounds very personal, not like his version of J.B. Lenoir's "Alabama Blues" from Mayall's "A Hard Road".

The outtake version of "Lazy Poker Blues" (heard years later), has a more "salt of the earth" quality compared to the Mr. Wonderful studio version. Yet it all goes back to "Love That Burns".

There's a person in the U.S. who sells Gibson Les Pauls' with pickups that emulate the Peter Green tone for a very good price (cvguitars.com). It's apparent to me this person has a passion for Peter Green's music, and he's learned to play his material very well (Youtube). He claims that "Love That Burns" is the hardest PG guitar solo to emulate. While I just wrote reads like a corporate plug, it is not. I found him through Google. I think this person is doing a good service out of passion, because his guitars sell for a fair, if not less than market value price.
Larry Corsa is really serious about PG stuff, and a great player. I'm hoping to meet him and play a few PG tunes together at BB King's in NY someday...