Thread: MacNuggets
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 01:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ghostwriter for Michael Jackson says he was working on Fleetwood Mac and interviewing Mick when he got the call from Michael. Here's an excerpt from an interview with the writer, Stephen Davis.

http://bestofmichaeljackson.jclondon...yal-to-him-mj/

In 1987, Stephen Davis — the noted rock and roll biographer, and author of arguably the most notorious non-fiction rock tome of all time, the Led Zeppelin screamer Hammer of the Gods — was living with his family in Malibu and working on a book about Fleetwood Mac when his agent called and offered him a plum gig: ghostwriting Michael Jackson’s autobiography. That book, Moon Walk, became a #1 NY Times Bestseller, and broke the news of Michael’s accusations that he’d been abused by his father.

What are you memories of working on Moon Walk?

I was in California, and I was working on a book with Fleetwood Mac at the time. And my agent called me up and said that Jacqueline Kennedy Onasis had hired Michael Jackson to write his autobiography and was having trouble — they’d assigned a couple of writers already, and Michael either didn’t like them or, well, I don’t know what happened. I was the third writer on the project. And I had some of their previous transcripts, and they weren’t very good. And I’d been interviewing Mick Fleetwood a lot and living with my family in Malibu and they said, “Well, we’d like you to go over and have an audience with Michael Jackson and see if he likes you, and the deadline is approaching.” So I went there to his house in Encino, California. And the zoo was there, and the candy store and all this stuff.