Thread: Nicks McNuggets
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Sheryl Crow interview

In the '90s, you interviewed your friend and fellow musician Stevie Nicks for Interview magazine. I'm going to turn some of those questions you asked her around onto you.

Oh, God [laughs].

Did you ever know that you'd be famous?

No. And she and I laughed about that because she always she knew that she would be famous. I was the kid that saw myself as a member of the Rolling Stones. I wanted to be Keith [Richards]. I wanted to be the guy who was, like, the great musician that all the other musicians looked up to. I wanted to be that person. But as I got older, I got a sense that I needed to express myself and it dictated that I wanted to be in the front.

Does it feel full circle for you then to be in the studio and sharing the stage with Keith Richards, among countless other revered musicians?

It's so absolutely crazy to me that I even know him or that he even knows my name, so yes. It's completely surreal. And to be able to call him and ask him to play on a song of mine ... I don't know how Heaven can top that.

What's the best advice that your mother ever gave you?

The best advice my mom gave me is to remember who you are at all times. It's a real challenge for all of us to remember who we are and the essence of who we are and what it is that we believe in, and kind of always be true to that.

Last one: What's your greatest fear?

Oh, wow. I have a fear that the planet that we're leaving to our kids is going to be so damaged by the time our kids grow up, they won't be able to go out and experience a beautiful summer day or be able to get into the ocean and play. They won't understand what it's like to be connected to nature because they can't.

Congratulations on your recent second adoption, speaking of kids. What do you consider to be your biggest strength as a mother?

I guess I want to say, because of what I've gone through in my life, it's my ability to not sweat that little stuff and, hopefully, my ability to be present for them: no calling, no BlackBerry, no e-mailing. When I'm with them, I'm with them.

Has Wyatt developed his own little musical taste?

He loves Lady Gaga. He loves her! When she's on the radio, he's like, "More Gaga! More Gaga!" And I have to say, "No, it doesn't work like that." "Gaga!" And then I say, "What about Sheryl Crow?" [laughs] He listens to all kinds of music all the time.

http://www.spinner.com/2010/07/20/sh...-from-memphis/