View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 05:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
The original opening lyric is; "I'm drifting, and drifting, like a ship out on a sea." The original has been recorded by many artists since Louisiana Red.
'

This "Drifting" is actually called Drifting Blues, composed by Charles Brown, Johnny Moore and Eddie Williams, and is well known being recorded by Eric Clapton:

I'm drifting and drifting, just like a ship out on the sea.
Well I ain't got nobody in this world to care for me.

If my baby would only take me back again.
If my baby would only take me back again.
I would feel much better, darling, and at least I'd have a friend.

I give you all my money, tell me what more can I do.
I give you all my money, tell me what more can I do.
You is a sweet little girl but I swear you won't be true.

Because I ain't got nobody in this world to care for me.

Louisiana Red has a complete different "Drifting", where he sings about feeling lonely in hotel rooms while travelling as a musician. Also mentioning memories of being raised in orphan homes. Also the melody is completely different. Try getting hold on it, it's on his album "Drifting", released in 2001.

Quote:
Peter Green's "Drifting" ........ wasn't released to the public until after Peter Green left FM. The album was called "The Original Fleetwood Mac".
Gary Moore also recorded Peter Greens "Drifting" (1995), adding another verse (in italics):

I ain't never missed a woman, anytime or anyhow
Said I ain't never missed a woman, anytime or anyhow
I said, I ain't never missed nobody, just like the way I miss my baby now

If you could see my woman, you'd know why no one else can take her place
If you could see my woman, people, you'd realize why no one else can take her place
You'd know just what I'm talking 'bout, if you could see my baby's sweet, sweet face

That's why I ain't never missed a woman, anytime or any place
No, I ain't never ever missed a woman, anytime or any place
When I say I ain't never missed nobody, I mean I ain't never missed nobody like I miss my baby now, yeah

At the Golden Circle venue, however, Peter added as second verse (and I'm looking forward to answers on the question marks):

All you fast talking women, don't come hanging around my door
I said all you fast talking women, don't come hanging around my door
????????????????????????
Woman I can't ??????????????

Quote:
Peter Green's "Drifting", IMHO is the blueprint for hard rock blues music (Led Zeppelin). Peter Green discovered lightning in a bottle at least a year before Jimmy Page. .... I'm glad to read posts from those who realize where that "sound" really came from, who are Led Zeppelin fans.
IMHO "Drifting" is very, very, very far from hard rock blues. It's slow, has immense passion, and nobody puts as much emotion into it as Peter did in those days.