View Single Post
Old 04-11-2003, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

First of all- I like the new album, it's great!
Now regarding the comparison Carne asked for...
Well Tusk is outstanding and will always be. I too think this is in its entirety the best album since tusk. But I don't see the musical connection to tusk that much.
Of course there are some "weird" songs:
Murrow
Red rover
Come
Say goodbye

But there are conventional pop approach songs also (which is not bad but different)
What`s the world
Miranda
Peacekeeper
Steal your heart away
Bleed to love her

So the "envelope" thing is a little overestimated imo. It`s a mix- on tusk it was more one direction.
On Tusk I like every LB song regarding the songwriting and the singing. On Say you will it`s different. I hate Miranda. It's sung O.K. but the production and the chorus is not my kind. What really amazes me- I think the singing parts are not always the best ones. Bleed to love her- the voice sounds weak there, the song also drags. Compare the bridge to it's original You do or you don't. It's sung better imo. Also the singing on Say goodbye... Some parts are changed to the GOS version and I think the voice was better there.
What is the point? Did he leave the voice machine out, did he use one but different...? I don`t know. It`s just I love the sound of his (studio)voice normally and I think it's unique- that`s one aspect why I'm such a huge fan and these 2 songs are somehow not that great. On other songs the voice sounds great so it`s either because of the time frame of several years he had been working on these or just because of a different production. What are your impressions regarding this?

He did a great job in producing Stevies songs and in contributing to them as a singer also.