View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
While I love all of the non-Stevie songs on Tango, I feel, the album as a whole, doesn't hold up very well(worse than Mirage). The whole thing just sounds so...........computerized! It doesn't sound like a BAND. It sounds like someone, tinkering with every note, in a digital format, until perfection is achieved...... There are no warts on Tango.

Well, except Stevie's songs!
The interesting thing is, I used to think Stevie's songs were the warts on Tango too. And as you well know, I'm a big Stevie fan. I think in time, I realized her very flawed presence on the album is perhaps one of the things that does make Tango so great. Stevie had just gone to hell and back when this album was being written and recorded. She hadn't just gone through rehab for her legendary cocaine addiction: she was committed forcibly! You can absolutely hear that turmoil, pain, and struggling on her songs. Her contributions on the album are the black eye that gives the blindingly polished Tango some character.

Even though it's not pretty to listen to, When I See You Again is probably one of the most revealing, raw songs lyrically that has ever been on a Mac album. Stevie's once beautiful, buttery voice had been reduced to a raspy, coughing sigh. Contrast that with how gorgeous Lindsey's verse sounds, and you see what rock and roll and love can do to one person... but not to the person right next to them. Again, while admittedly not pretty to listen to, I think the song is perhaps more artistically adventurous than most anything Lindsey did on Tusk. I think the song is genius.