View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

New lake seats get thumbs up from front row fan

By FELICITY ROSS - Taranaki Daily News Last updated 05:00 22/12/2009

Any doubts over the new seating platform over the lake at the Bowl evaporated during its maiden voyage at the weekend.

Fleetwood Mac fan Brett Stokell was one who took advantage of the controversial new seating at the TSB Bowl of Brooklands and he reckoned he had the best seat in the house for Saturday night's concert.

The New Plymouth man paid $320 for a front-row seat which he said gave him the best view at the venue.

"For that view I would have paid much more," he said.

"As far as I am concerned the closer the better."

In fact, Mr Stokell estimated he was only about a metre away from Lindsey Buckingham, who at one point sat down on the stage and checked out the audience with a big grin on his face.

"We could certainly feel the vibe and the band made good eye contact, it was just exceptional."

While some worried being seated so close to the stage and speakers would be deafening, Mr Stokell said the sound was perfect. "There was plenty of room and I liked the little bar they had there," he said.

Mr Stokell has been to plenty of concerts in his time but he had never been in the front row.

"The closest I had been was when I saw the Rolling Stones at Western Springs in Auckland and I was in the third row.

"That's what made Fleetwood Mac so special.

"Being a metre away from Lindsey Buckingham on the guitar, he was unbelievable."

One of the biggest concerns about the platform, which seats more than 1000 people, was blocking the view of those seated further back in the Bowl.

Mr Stokell said security guards would not let those on the platform stand up and dance until towards the end of the show.

"We didn't want to impede anyone's view but by the end of the concert security couldn't stop people from standing, there was too many of us."

He said the fact they had to sit down for most of the concert didn't ruin it.

"We just had a great time in our seats.

"I will be trying to get those seats again for the next concert at the Bowl."

Architect Terry Boon, who has had a long-time involvement with the Bowl, also gave the platform the thumbs up.

Although he was initially dubious about the design, Mr Boon took a seat on the platform on Friday and said that it was fantastic.

"I think it looks really good and I'm thrilled it worked so well at the concerts," Mr Boon said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-dail...-front-row-fan