View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I do have to agree that this decade has brought about no new Madonnas, Kurt Cobains, Pink Floyds, or anything truly groundbreaking. But the second half of this decade has had a decidedly welcome shift back towards artists who write their own songs, play their own instruments, and who aren't just studio creations. The Indie scene seems to be exploding... and once underground bands are going mainstream (who could have seen a weird little band like Owl City getting so much mainstream airplay? ). There's just a lot of good stuff brewing right now... a lot of potential. Yes, there are still Adam Lamberts, Lady Gagas, and crap like that... but there always has been, and always will be. Just look back at '77 for instance... the biggest singles of that year were by Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles, Billy Joel, Carly Simon... and... Debbie Boone .
He's got the popularity that The Postal Service should have had half a decade ago if we'd had today's musical climate. He sounds so like them that it isn't even funny. I actually laughed out loud when I first heard 'Fireflies' because it is such a carbon copy. I do find it pretty catchy though and I'll have to give more of their songs a listen.

I do agree about your point that Indie seems to be coming through to something more mainstream. Or maybe it's that the mainstream is becoming more Indie?