View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I can't say I disagree with Rolling Stone for not including the Mac/solo albums... and that's rare. Fleetwood Mac, nor it's solo members really made any landmark albums this decade. Nobody did anything ground breaking, nobody reinvented themselves. Nobody had a breakout success. None of the albums changed the music biz. None of the albums had a lasting impact on the artists catalogue of materials. None of the albums had an impact on the genre, or influenced fellow artists. I could continue... but y'all get the point.

That's not to detract anything from the band and it's solo member's albums. I think In The Meantime, Gift Of Screws, and Trouble In Shangri La all rank among the best solo albums of Christine's, Lindsey's, and Stevie's solo careers. But that doesn't make them any more substantive in the presence of the sum of ALL albums recorded this decade. For better, worse, or indifference artists like Amy Winehouse, Coldplay, Alicia Keys, and others came on the scene in this decade, and forever changed popular music, and left an indelible mark on the entire recording scene. You just can't say that for any of the Fleetwood Mac/solo ventures.

Granted, I think some albums are definitely left off this list (Taylor Swift has single handedly reinvented Country and Pop music in my eyes)... and some albums desperately need to be taken off (do we really need multiple Jay-Z, Kanye, Eminem, Radiohead, and Dylan albums listed??). And I definitely will agree that scanning this list it's very typical Rolling Stone: elitist, pompous, out of touch, and purposefully inflammatory. But I still don't think the Mac/Solo ventures belong on the list necessarily either.
In what way did they forever change music? The impact was that large? What they did had already been done, only we called it Madonna, Ozzy, and Tracey Chapman.