View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
The only Stevie song Bekka sang regularly was a new arrangement of Gold Dust Woman. I've heard she did a few others, but not regularly. She mainly sang Christine's songs. Billy did Lindsey's songs. Dave Mason did Dave Mason or Traffic songs.

Bekka vs. Bonnie. While I love Bonnie's voice, I think Bekka got the best of both parents.
I don't know about a "few others", I only heard Bekka do "Dreams" (in addition to "Gold Dust Woman") the one time I saw that lineup. (and, Bonnie came out to join Bekka on the background vocals for "Only You Know & I Know"...sounded like one person singing two parts!!)

And, Dave Mason did a Bob Dylan cover. ("All Along The Watchtower"...I know, I know, Dave had his own minor hit with it in the late 70s...but it's STILL a Dylan song)

Bonnie's "wildness" had mellowed after the split with Delaney...if you listen to the Allman Bros Band's "Crazy Love" (from 1979's Enlightened Rogues album, the one album that Bonnie was a "member" of the ABB), she sounded more like how Bekka's voice is these days.

Ok, back to the Behind The Mask tour show...

It was the final show...THE final show of the tour. I was about 20 rows back on the floor DIRECTLY in front of the soundboard (so I was guaranteed great sound). I remember everything sounding just great (except "Save Me" suffered the same live "emptiness" that "Hold Me" suffered from in '82)...but, Stevie just didn't fully seem "there". After a killer version of "I Loved Another Woman" by Rick, John & Mick...Stevie stumbled out, babbled something incoherently into the mic, then Lindsey came walking out with an acoustic guitar, sat down on the drum riser, & started into "Landslide"; after which, Lindsey immediately stood up, waved to the crowd & walked off. Stevie turned around & watched him leave, then babbled more incoherent crap into microphone while sniffling & crying, as the rest of the band returned to the stage and launched into "World Turning". This tour, the Mick-sturbation solo seemed much more tedious than the one the previous tour. Great versions of "Little Lies" & "Stand Back" followed (Stevie seemed to have pulled herself together...and actually gave a near "angry"/volatile performance)...then "You Make Loving Fun"...Lindsey came back out with the Turner M1 and they launched into an incindiary version of "Go Your Own Way" to end the set. Took 'em about 10 minutes to leave the stage afterwards. Then they all came back (Lindsey included) for kick-butt versions of "Tear It Up" & "Don't Stop". Little speeches by both Mick (coherent) & Stevie (not-so-much) announcing the end of the tour and thanking the road crew, sound & light companies, etc. After few minutes Christine came back for "Songbird", this time accompanied by John on acoustic bass & Lindsey on acoustic guitar. House lights up very quickly afterwards....and since the LA TIMES had already announced Christine's & Stevie's departures, it was an end of an era.

Last edited by chiliD; 09-23-2009 at 03:49 PM..