View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 02:14 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Oakland shines with double encore! - My review!

I just got back from my first ever FM concert, and hopefully not the last! I was blown away by a show whose energy, aura, and mystique took a little while to sink in, and when it did I was having the time of my life. I'll admit I'm a rather new FM fan (only in the past 5-6 years, and casually at best), but I love so many of their songs (and Stevie's solo work) that I had to see them live.

I thought that the show could have had greater opening energy -- then again, it could have just been the lack of enthusiasm in my particular section. No one was singing, dancing, or cheering (with the exception of a few songs), and it seemed like they were dragged out there. (Oh, I need to slap the folks sitting next to me twice -- one, for choosing their potty break during 'Storms,' and two, for commenting during 'Landslide,' "Isn't this a Dixie Chicks song?).

But all that aside, my two lovely FM posters will hang in pride, as this is probably the first show that has transported me, in my young 24 years, to the late 60s and 70s. I think it all began with Stevie introducing the history of 'Gypsy' (the highlight of my night), and I found myself in San Francisco during that golden age. On that note, the band gave lots of love to the Bay Area tonight: Stevie noted that there will never be music like the music that came out of San Francisco between 1965-1970, and later commenting that 'San Francisco knows how to rock!'; Lindsey discussed his years living in Palo Alto, and said he'd see us all here again real soon; and many of them noted that playing in the Bay Area feels like home.

So some other highlights:
-Rhiannon. This song has grown on me lately. With lighters in the air, I found myself really digging this song tonight. What a classic.
-Gold Dust Woman. Only proves Stevie is truly a queen.
-Storms. I LOVE this song. So haunting and beautiful.
-Don't Stop. Great way to end the show.
-Silver Springs. Was NOT expecting this. Is it just me, or is Oakland the first venue to get a double encore this tour? What, with reading the posts on here that this song had been absent, and with Don't Stop being the likely closer, I thought that this would not be my year to hear this song. Hell, I had my sweatshirt back on and ready to go, but figured I'd stick around, though I don't know why. But thankfully I did, and when they came back out I knew that this was my lucky night!

Other random thoughts:
-Stevie sounded great! There were some higher notes she didn't hit and went the low route, but no matter. She was wonderful.
-Lindsey: WOW can this guy play a guitar! He had the whole arena in his hands! Simply amazing -- totally worth the $25 parking fee!

Would love to hear other fans' thoughts, and if anyone could post the exact setlist and upload any songs from tonight, it would be much appreciated.