View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
I think, most of us "oldies" on the board have spent thousands of dollars on FM. I know I have. All my debt is FM-related (and that's not an exaggeration). And, I personally have done it--mostly, without complaint.
But, that money paid for seeing FM, Stevie and/or Lindsey probably about 20 times (I never counted). Not for one concert.

And they were giving us new material and times were not as tough.
It's very difficult to not feel slighted by FM themselves when ticket prices are high to start out with and then they do things like the packages and ticketmaster's "premium tickets" (and I have no idea if this is a ticketmaster racket or something sanctioned by FM)--and making fans who really would like to see them as close as possible shell out MORE money than those casual fans who will pass by a venue and say, "oh, Fleetwood Mac. Yeah, I liked them back in the day. Let me get a ticket" and don't give a rat's behind where they sit.

I work. I'm single and don't have kids. But I can't shell out these huge amounts of money and don't think I would if I could. If you can, that's great. HOWEVER, it irritates me that the people with the packages are being sold a mystery prize of some sort. WHY can't they tell you--right now--that you have front row center seats? Or second row? For that money, those tickets should be in their hands and they should guarantee you an exact place in that venue without you having to wait until the day of the show. Ticket brokers are selling front row tickets for these shows. Why do they know the exact location of the tickets they are selling, and FM--who is selling them for, in some cases, even MORE than the brokers, not telling you until the day of the show? It's just not right.

They did the whole FM fanclub thing where you could buy tickets, during the SYW tour. If I'm not mistaken (I just don't remember this exactly anymore), they weren't that much more than the value of the ticket. And they were also mystery tickets until a week (or maybe a few days?) before the concert. And then they emailed you your seat numbers. But, you had an option to cancel. I don't even know if this All Access thing gives you that option. And, how many people can afford to dump it at that late date, if they really have their hearts set on it?

I don't know. It really doesn't affect me because I'm not doing it, but I get annoyed at the concept. You want to believe in the integrity of the people you admire most, and this sort of chips away at all of that.

And, FWIW, Lindsey is sort of excluded in this. Is he in it for the money? Yes. But, he's sort of stated that he is. But, he gave us two wonderful, inventive, creative tours and didn't rob us blind. If anything, he robbed himself (money-wise). That counts for a lot in my book. And, the two times I've spent a few minutes with him off-stage--he was beyond nice. (And didn't reach for my pocketbook for some extra dough!)
Great post. I agree completely.