View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
Somewhere in the early 70's, what year I'm not exactly sure now. I went on the urging of a friend since they weren't exactly on the top of my lists of "must see's." They are a good jam band, I'll give them that, but there was so much improvisation going on that I was never sure where the beginning, middle and end of each tune, or even segment, was. The concert went on soooo long I was actually getting a bit weary (and thus why I implied it might have been better if I was stoned, or lit up more). A lot of spacey fusings and stylings, some not bad either, but it was hard to find a cohesive flow to it all (aside from a few clever segues, and some admittedly driving moments found within).

Beyond that, the PA system they were using seemed to be hit and miss, so that too was distracting and a bit of a letdown. And yet I heard it was one of the best, even custom designed for the Dead! So while I'll say their Wall of Sound was very distinct and even trailblazing for its day, it also suffered from drawbacks like excessive free form, and complications arising thereof. Hey, for all I know, it may have been a less than stellar night, so who knows! The Dead were a pretty good act overall, and always gave it their all live. But sometimes I think they're amped up a bit "high" by their extremely devoted (ergo, partisan) fans, and proponents of abstract, free flow improv. Truth be known, I prefer more the live framing of the Who, or ABB, or IABD, or Jethro Tull - or hell, The Moody Blues.

What's that old saying, to each their own?

I guess if you were "there" I can understand. In the summer of '73 the Dead played a show at R.F.K stadium (with the ABB) that lasted five and a half hours (that's just the Dead's portion)! With modern technology, I don't have to hear the show all the way through at once.

The Wall of Sound was certainly an experiment (3/74-10/74). The recording quality of those shows isn't top notch either so I'll take your assessment of the sound as correct.

I agree about the "deadheads" who over amplify the Dead's accomplishments. To hear some talk about how good those early 90's shows were (esp. after Brent Mydland died) is nauseating. It's as if "Are you listening to the same piece of music as me?" The same goes for those times in the 80's when Jerry was obviously too strung out or unhealthy to play.

A general rule is I'll take a Who or ABB, or Tull (I have seen all three) show any day of the week over the Dead. It's just sometimes I get in that mood, and those are the period(s) that I listed before that I can enjoy. Oh, and as long as I don't intermingle with the fans too much. They get on my nerves.