View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Well the article isn't about the rest of Fleetwood Mac, it's about Peter Green. As good as Kirwan and Spencer were, Peter Green was the engine in the car. That's quite obvious given Spencer's quick departure nine months after Green, and Kirwan's decent into alcoholism. No one is taking away their contributions. The article merely wants to give credit to a guitarist who is easily overlooked compared to Clapton, Beck, Page, Allman (yes I said it), Hendrix.... Green clearly belongs in that group.
I'll give you that, the main thrust of the article, but Green's FM constitution without Kirwan is like ABB without Betts. Or of another vein, Lennon without McCartney. Still good, but nowhere near complete. That was my main point. It could also be argued - very easily IMO - that Kirwan's guitar pulse shone every bit as bright as Green's in the blues-rock Fleetwood Mac. Then Play On is proof of that, beyond their late stage appearances where Kirwan really took flight. Spencer should not even be mentioned here. Great stage presence, but not a guitar master.

BTW why bring up DK's alcoholism when Green's mental deterioration was even more abrupt, one likewise fueled by drugs and booze. Best to keep an even hand here.