View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmccarrell View Post
I do think that's a little ridiculous. Simply having the title "married" is not going to make people stop being promiscuous, as any married person who has cheated, or been cheated on can tell you. If you want to be committed, you are certainly able to. The social conservatives are not responsible for people being irresponsible and risky. I mean, who says to themselves, "Jerry Falwell says I can't be married, so I'm not going to commit to the person I love and I'm going to screw around. If Falwell says I can marry, I'll stop." I mean, that's a really bogus argument. If you talk to anyone who is a social conservative, they will tell you it's great that gays want to settle down, it just isn't the same thing as marriage. Why should the opinion of a bunch of social conservatives change the way you view your own relationship? Put your own initiative on the ballot and keep trying. You'll eventually be successful. You will never get the social conservatives to side with you.
Just by vitrtue of their preaching of hate and intolerance and marginalizing gay people they are contributing to those behaviors .If society were more accepting it is pretty clear the substance abuse and low self esteem that contributes to those behaviors would decrease as well.